It was getting late and I was about to call it a day. I put on my backpack and picked up my bow. Realizing that I still had about thirty minutes left to hunt, I decided to wait for a minute or two. Out of nowhere, as if he had been there the whole time, appears a fairly large buck. Not only did he appear, but he was extremely close. Sure that he had busted me sitting in the bushes, my heart began to sink. Then he put his head down to eat for a second and I raised my bow and drew back the string. Yet, I was unable to shoot because he was behind the bushes I was hiding in. Previously, I had cut three shooting lanes from where I was sitting. All he had to do was move out to the field about five to ten yards. Which was a tall order considering he was only that far away from me. In my mind I thought he would pass directly in front of me at five or six feet. I sat there holding back the string for what seemed like twenty minutes, but it was probably only two or three minutes. He then began to move around me. I was telling myself to calm down and breathe, but that was pretty hard. My heart was pounding so hard I'm sure he could hear it.
As if we had rehearsed this dance ahead of time, he slowly quartered away and walked into the field. Fearing that he would bolt and begin to run, I made a little noise to stop him, and he did. As he turned to look at me, I let him have it. Immediatly I knew he was done. The shot was good, although it was a bit high and to the right. He ran across the field and crashed into the woods like a freight trane. My adrenaline was pumping so hard I felt like I could chase him down the hill. Amazing as it is, I had taken a shot at him three weeks ago and missed. I didn't think I would ever see him in that area ever again, but I sure did. It took me quite awhile to track him down and get him out of the woods, but it was worth it. This is the largest deer I have ever harvested with my bow. He was between 190 and 210 pounds field dressed with a nine point non-typical rack, and he was about four or five years old. It was an amazing day in my hunting career, and my life.




2 comments:
I've never been hunting before. It sounds kind of fun, but just the thought of killing poor helpless animals bothers me. It would be my luck that the first time I went hunting, I would shoot a doe and then a few moments later, a fawn would come running up over the hill. I would feel bad killing a fawn's mother. I also don't know if I would be able to remain quiet and still for hours upon hours though.
It took me a minute as always to get around to doing something but let me say as far as blogs go I find this to be better then most i have seen...good job rupple...just one thing how come htere is no pics of the wife...wtf...
Post a Comment