Sometimes, it feels like I've been smoking cigarettes since the day I was born. I know that I haven't been smoking that long, but it's hard to remember a time when I wasn't a smoker. I had my first cigarette when I was about eight years old. I had stolen one from my father and went over to my friend Ryan's house. We climbed up in his tree house and took turns smoking that cigarette, pretending to be cool, and coughing. Now, I didn't go directly from that to smoking a pack a day, but I continued to be interested in the cigarettes. When you first start smoking you get kind of buzzed up, so to speak, from the nicotine. Which in turn gets you to smoke again, except this affect is only temporary and you eventually find yourself smoking more and more. Until, one day you wake up and the only thing you care about is lighting that first smoke of the day.
Over time you develop a relationship with smoking, almost as if they are your best friend. When your all alone and your bored out of your mind, at least you have your good buddy Mr. Cigarette to keep you company. If you get some great news, lets celebrate with a nice tasty smoke. Smoking becomes the one most important aspect of your life. Other smokers can attest to the control smoking has on your life, lifestyle, and decision making. For instance, If it's 11:00 at night ,and it's only ten degrees outside, I will drive through snow, rain, or even a tornado to make sure that I have cigarettes when I wake up. Would a non-smoker do that for bread, milk, or butter? I know I wouldn't do it for any of those reasons, but I would do it for a smoke. There is an old slogan from CAMEL cigarettes that says" I'd walk a mile for a CAMEL!", and that is the truth. If you start smoking, eventually you will to.
I have made many attempts to quit smoking over the years, and some were more successful than others, but I still haven't managed to quit smoking. I've tried nicotine gum, nicotine patches, chewing gum, and have actually went as far a manufacturing fake cigarettes out of bass wood. The wooden smokes, or "Oak Smokes" as I like to call them, worked pretty well until they started to splinter. Even with all the cessation products, and money I've wasted on cigarettes, there still doesn't seem to be a sure fire way to quit, permanently. I know I should quit to save my health, and money, but I still can't seem to get away from the deliciously smooth, light, and flavorful smoke. I'd like to continue further, but I'm low on cigarettes and have to run to the store.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
I have never smoked in my life and I don't plan on starting. The smell of them grosses me out and they are really expensive. They do no good for you and only cause problems. My uncle right now is suffering from lung cancer and he only has a short period of time left to live. I wish that this was a wake up call to the other people in my family that smoke, but sadly it wasn't.
Well I can't say that I have never smoked, but I can say that I have never been a smoker. I'm the kind of person who likes to light a menthol when I'm drinking, take a few drags and hand it back to who ever I lite it for. My thought about cigs is that if you enjoy them than thats your opinion, but keep the health and opinions of non-smokers in mind.
Hey Jamie, I think you are right about feeling like you have a monkey on your back. I have tried to quit a few times and I quit for 3 years, but it was that first drink then it was all over. Maybe that monkey will get lighter, lol.
I can sincerely attest to the difficulty of quitting. I know I as well as anyone else has the power to easily quit but the urge to do otherwise usually always overcomes all other desires. I've tried to quit a few times myself but as you can tell from when we ran into each other after class i was unsuccesful. Well i bid you great luck on your next attempt.
Post a Comment