Friday, December 18, 2009

Parking tickets are annoying.

On Monday of this week I was issued a parking ticket for being within 15 feet of a crosswalk. I was pretty angry, because even though I was within 15 feet, the street behind my truck hadn't been plowed out yet, and I couldn't back my little s-10 any further from the crosswalk. There were also two other cars within 15 feet of a crosswalk and they didn't get a ticket. So I marched on over to city hall and signed up to contest my ticket in traffic court. I then took a bunch of pictures with my friends' digital camera, and started to build a case. Traffic court is every Wednesday morning just inside the main doors to city hall. I got up early on my day off from classes to go to traffic court. I was called in, and after a few minutes I had gotten the ticket dismissed. It really wasn't as hard as one might think. I now believe the answer to the city targeting students for parking is flooding the system with students who have gotten parking tickets while they were in class. If more people complain, the more the city has to re-think the two hour parking that is so unfair. It also presents a safety hazard for students. If you have to move your car between classes to avoid a ticket then the risk of that student getting hit by a car ,or getting into an accident, has increased significantly. It also may have an inherent effect on that persons education. When you have to leave school and rush to move your car and then rush back, you get to class all flustered and that might hurt your ability to sit, listen, and learn. The City of La Crosse doesn't care about those things, they only care about the revenue flow brought to them from their parking authority. What do you think?

This happens to be the last require blog post for Written Communications, but I plan to continue my blog. I also don't have to be so polite with my wording which will be kind of nice. Having said that, this will not be a child friendly blog, just so ya know. Well, it's almost 7 a.m. and I have one class left for the semester today. I hope everyone had a great semester. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and yours.

1 comment:

A Good Life said...

Hi Jamie, I can see both sides of this debate. The school needs better parking lots, like a ramp because our school is continuously growing. I hate parking in the winter because it so dangerous and slushy and they can't move the snow fast enough for us to park or turn corners. I guess we live up here in Minnesota and Wisconsin, we are to expect that, but since we live up here then the city should relax in the winter months when there is snow on the ground. Congratulations on winning your case. I will miss seeing you in class and around campus. Take care and Have Happy Holidays to you and your wife!! :)By the way Vegas was GREAT!!!